Monday, July 5, 2010

Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands with Dogfish Head Midas Touch

I remember playing the original Prince of Persia on my parents' old Macintosh SE. It was incredibly unforgiving and altogether frustrating. When the series was resurrected a few years ago, I was delighted to find that the newer games were not only very enjoyable, but also carried on a bit of the comically tragic brutality of the original. Naturally, the newer games are much easier than the older ones, but I'll take what I can get. Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands is better than the last couple PoP games I've played, and I'm glad to have a good pairing for it.


When I solicited ideas for a pairing from readers, both Avery Maharaja IPA and Dogfish Head Midas Touch stood out as inspired suggestions. I was only able to find Midas Touch at the stores I visited, and it worked out quite well. Sam Calagione, founder of Dogfish Head, took it upon himself to use an ancient Turkish recipe involving barley, Muscat grapes, honey and saffron. The result is a powerful golden ale bursting with fruit and spice. It tastes slightly oxidized, adding to the seemingly aged quality of the beer. Aside from the themes of wishes gone awry shared by the game and the title of the beer, the exotic aesthetic of both go hand in hand. This pairing makes for an intoxicating experience, and I give my thanks to the anonymous reader who suggested it.

3 comments:

  1. You know, I don't drink when I play this game but maybe I should start. After about 45 minutes I end up cursing that stupid prince and throwing the Wiimote on the floor. None of the other games infuriated me as much as this one does.

    I'll try it with the Midas Touch later and see how that works.

    Thanks, Ben!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a good ways into the game, and it has had its share of diabolical obstacles. I like it far more than any Prince of Persia game since The Sands of Time, largely because it's challenging. I find that coffee actually increases my skill with the game more than Midas Touch, but I still recommend the pairing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how challenging it is too, I just have jumping problems :(

    Though, after playing a bunch of the Lego games, the problem doesn't seem limited to Prince of Persia. It's just not as frustrating when you're a Lego.

    ReplyDelete