Tuesday, June 1, 2010

At a loss


I'm drinking a 2007 Bodegas Castaño Hécula Monastrell after getting home from an extra-long workday. A sturdy red with a pleasantly acidic and tannic backbone, it is rounded out with notes of cherries and prunes. Now what the hell am I going to play with this wine? Let's take a gander at the old video game library.

Super Mario Galaxy? No. When I first got the game, I drank my way through most (okay, all) of a bottle of Ridge Three Valleys Zinfandel. While that particular wine, like everything else that Ridge makes, was entirely awesome, it taught me that powerful red wines are not to be paired with lighthearted video games. Not that this Monastrell matches the intensity of the Ridge, but it still seems inappropriate.

Muramasa: The Demon Blade? I'm saving my bottle of Shichi Hon Yari Junmai Sake for that one, and I'm not about to open such a fancy bottle at this hour.

Madden '07? Of course not. I really have to get some new video games.

I swear to baby Jesus that I will post later this week with a brand new pairing that does not involve Diablo 2. Please have patience with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment